Last updated on September 13th, 2023 at 11:18 am
Laura Florez was born and raised in Colombia. Now in the U.S., she is a writer, marketer, and international student.
Hi! I’m Laura, from Colombia, currently living in the United States, and in this post I want to guide you through the process of opening a Bancolombia savings account from the U.S.
Having a bank account in Colombia can bring you many benefits, including paying your bills and credit cards, making purchases, buying a house or sending and receiving money nationally and internationally.
With a Bancolombia account, you can also receive the money you send using Remitly easily and securely.
What Do I Need to Open a Bancolombia Savings Account From Abroad?
Getting a bank account from abroad can be a process that you can easily do online if you have all the required documents.
The main requirements to be able to open a bank account are:
- Original identity card or original citizenship card.
- Photocopy of your citizenship card enlarged to 150%.
- Documents confirming your name and address of residence abroad. You can use a bank statement, utility bill or any other payment receipt that reflects your name and address.
- Download, print, and sign the required documents to open your account. Read on to find out where to find them.
Steps to Open a Bancolombia Savings Account
Although opening a bank account seems like a stressful and long process, it can also take as little as three steps. Here’s how to do it:
1. Contact the bank to request an application to open your account.
To begin the process of opening your bank account, contact Bancolombia at (1) 866 379 97 14, or if you are in Spain, call (34) 900 995 717, to request your account application.
2. Send the signed documents by email
Once you get in touch with the bank, you will be asked for some personal information, including your e-mail address, in order to send you the required documents.
You must print, sign, scan and send back all the documents to the email address that they will provide when you request the application.
Please note that some documents may require your signature and fingerprints.
3. Activate your PIN
After you submit all signed and scanned documents, your account will be ready within approximately seven business days.
Check your email regularly and follow the instructions on how to activate the PIN for your new account.
It is important for you to know that you have 15 business days to send your signed documents after requesting the application to open the account.
Benefits of Having a Bank Account in Colombia
From my experience, a bank account in Colombia has allowed me to have the following benefits:
- Send money to my family nationally to accounts such as Nequi or Daviplata.
- Pay bills and debts from the bank’s virtual branch and app.
- Keep my money in Colombian pesos.
- Receive the international wire transfers that I send regularly to my bank account from the U.S.
- Make virtual investments and generate automatic income.
- Use ATMs and shop with my debit card whenever I travel to Bogotá.
As you can see, having an account in Colombia can bring you many benefits and make your financial life a little easier, especially when being away from your loved ones.
For more detailed information, visit Cuenta Ahorro para Colombianos que vivan en el Exterior.
How Do I Send My Money From the United States to a Bancolombia Account?
Since I moved to the U.S. being able to send money home to my family and my personal bank account in Colombia have always been a priority.
Read our article How to Send Money to Bancolombia in Five Easy Steps for more information about how to make international money transfers to a bank account with Remitly.
You May Also Like
- How to Renew Colombian Passport in the U.S.
- How to send money to DaviPlata in 5 easy steps
- Today’s U.S. Dollar Exchange Rate with Remitly: Dollars to Pesos
Remitly is on a mission to make international money transfers faster, easier, more transparent and more convenient. Since 2011, millions of people have used Remitly to send money with confidence. Visit our website, download the app or check out our Help Center to start sending money abroad.