With around 4.7 million Colombians living abroad, Colombia received USD 4.6 billion in remittances in 2015, making it the fourth-largest recipient in Latin America following Mexico, Guatemala, and the Dominican Republic.
If you seek a secure and straightforward way to send money to Colombia, there are several options. Money transfer services such as Remitly offer an alternative solution.
Remitly helps you convert your GBP, USD, and EUR into Colombian pesos (COP) and send them to Colombia. With our transparent pricing structure and bank-level security, you can rest easy knowing your money is in good hands.
Here are how to start sending money to Columbia and common FAQs.
Why Should I Use Remitly to Send Money to Colombia?
Remitly helps you send more of your hard-earned money to Colombia by offering low fees and competitive exchange rates. Quick delivery and high levels of security bring peace of mind, ensuring a positive money transfer experience.
Remitly’s straightforward pricing structure means you no longer need to worry about hidden fees.
Send Money to Colombia in 5 Easy Steps
Sending money to Colombia doesn’t need to be complicated. Follow these five steps.
- Download the Remitly app and create an account. Set Colombia as your destination country.
- Enter the amount you want to send.
- Select your preferred delivery methods such as bank deposit, cash pickup, or mobile money (or called mobile wallet) transfer via DaviPlata.
- Enter all the necessary information, including the recipient’s name, recipient’s bank account number, and phone number. The required information will vary depending on your selected delivery method.
- Add your payment details, such as your debit card or credit card info.
Remitly may ask for additional documentation depending on the amount you send or if we’re unable to verify your identity.
With Remitly, Which Banks/Providers Can I Send To?
As of this writing, you can send money to these banks and providers through Remitly.
- Super Inter
These are just some places in Colombia where you can send money with Remitly. For the complete list, check the Remitly app or the website.
How Much Money Can I Send to Colombia With Remitly?
To ensure top-quality customer service while adhering to strict security standards and international regulations, Remitly has implemented sending limits. These limits apply when you first open your account.
For customers who send to Colombia from the United States, as of writing, the initial sending limits with Remitly are:
- $2,999 in 24 hours
- $10,000 in 30 days
- $18,000 in 180 days
If you need to transfer amounts beyond this, Remitly will ask you for more information. For more about raising your transfer limits, check out details here. Additional sending limits may apply depending upon your choice of payout partner or receiving location.
How Much Does It Cost To Send Money to Colombia With Remitly?
As of this writing, here is how much it costs to send money to Colombia.
- For customers in the USA, the Express and Economy transfer fee is 3.99 USD if you send between 0 and 499.99. If you send 500 USD or more, the express fee will remain 3.99 USD or you can send an Economy transfer fee free.
- For Canadian customers, Express transfers to Colombia are 4.49 CAD and Economy transfers are 1.99 CAD, regardless of how much you send.
- For Australian customers, enjoy a flat fee of 6.49 AUD.
- If you’re living in the United Kingdom, enjoy a flat fee of 2.49 GBP.
Wonder how much 1 USD (US dollar) can exchange for COP (Colombian peso)? Check out Remitly’s website for the most current rates.
Is It Safe To Send Money to Colombia With Remitly?
Remitly ensures your information and your money are safe. Our commitment to security is one of the reasons millions of people use Remitly to send money home.
- Remitly is licensed to do business in the 17 sending countries and more than 100 receiving countries that we serve. Our licensors have high standards and require us to follow strict security and customer protection guidelines;
- Remitly uses multiple levels of security, so you can send money home with peace of mind. Your personal data is protected 24 hours a day through fraud monitoring and encryption.
- All accounts are verified with proper documentation;
- Remitly is dedicated to protecting your money and personal data;
- Remitly sends you notifications and updates about your transfers; and
- Remitly provides 24/7 support.
In short, you can have peace of mind that your hard-earned money will safely get to its destination.
More About Colombia
As of 2020, over 50.88 million people live in Colombia, with many living in Cartagena, Cucuta, Bucaramanga, Pereira, and other major cities. The largest city is Bogota, with a population of over 7.67 million people. Throughout the country, over 99.5% speak Spanish. However, English is an official language in the San Andrés, Providencia, and Santa Catalina Islands.
Colombian culture can be traced back to the early culture of Spain of the 16th century. It wasn’t until 1819 that Colombia achieved its independence and was later recognized as a country by the United States in 1822. By 1837, the Colombian Peso (COP) became the official currency. Today, the country’s economy is fueled by exports such as coal, nickel, bananas, petroleum, coffee, and emeralds.
Although the country has shown positive growth over the past few years, many Colombians rely on remittances sent from those living abroad.
Venezuela and the United States are the main countries Colombians emigrate to, followed by Spain, Ecuador, and Panama. Those living in the United States have a high level of education, with 72 percent of immigrants in the United States having completed secondary or higher education.
The Online Money Transfer Company That Helps You Send Money to Colombia
Remitly makes international money transfers faster, easier, more transparent, and more affordable. Since 2011, over five million people have used our secure mobile app to send money to their loved ones with peace of mind.
New customers can get a special offer on their first transfer. Check out Trustpilot to see what other customers like about Remitly.