According to the 2016 census, over 304,015 people from the Philippines currently live in Australia. While this well-established and vibrant community extends throughout the entire country, a lot of commercial services and cultural support exist within the nation’s largest metro areas.
If you’re considering moving away from the Philippines and looking for where to move in Australia, check out the major regions that the Philippines’ overseas community lives, as well as what makes them unique.
In Sydney, Filipinos make up over 3% of the total population in many of the major metro areas, including nearly 6% in the city of Blacktown. Sydney hosts the largest and most historical overseas Filipino community in the country by far.
A number of places and events throughout the Sydney metro area offer important resources to the community:
- Republic of the Philippines Consulate General is located in Sydney, providing important government support with official documents and processes, as well as sponsoring community cultural events.
- The Pinoy Australia Information Forum presents live community meetings and provides valuable online information, with the goal of raising awareness related to business and immigration topics.
- The Bayanihan Community News has been providing print and online news to the local community in Sydney since 1998, publishing relatable stories and articles in various Filipino languages.
- The Sydney Filipino Society of the University of Sydney fosters cultural pride among Filipino students, provides cultural support, and strives to build relationships among institutions in Australia and the Philippines.
- Multiple annual festivals celebrating Filipino culture in Sydney include the Fiesta Kultura, the Sydney Philippine Food Festival, and the newer Philippine Christmas Festival (Pasko).
Check out this video for more on Fiesta Kultura, along with some history on the overseas Filipino community in Sydney!
About one in five Filipinos who move to Australia settles in Melbourne. This community has worked hard to create an array of services and cultural events that celebrates and supports its members:
- Filipino Community Council of Victoria, Inc. provides an array of support groups and social services for those in need, including elders. The center also publishes a newsletter of community events and provides volunteer opportunities, too.
- Australian Filipino Community Services also provides important community support in the metro area, providing welfare care to the disadvantaged. AFCS also partners with government and business entities and works to promote Filipino culture.
- Metro area festivals celebrating the culture, music, and food of the Philippines include the Philippines Independence Street Fiesta, a weekend-long celebration that draws large crowds.
- Several metro area churches serve as social gathering points and offer resources such as choirs, social clubs, and charitable organizations: St. Francis’ Church, First Church of Melbourne, and the Filipino-Australian Seventh Day Adventist Church, among others.
Here’s some live footage from the most recent Philippines Street Fiesta in Melbourne!
The overseas Filipino communities in both Sydney and Melbourne — as well as throughout Australia — depend on their fellow community members for support and to feel welcome in the new country they call home. Additionally, staying connected to family and friends in the Philippines is essential.
As one of the largest Filipino communities abroad, Filipinos residing in Australia need to be able to send money home to loved ones with ease, whether it’s for birthdays, holidays, financial support, school supplies, or other important reasons.
Remitly makes the money-sending process fast and simple, so you can show your loved ones the support they need even from far away.